Skip to content

Levens Local History Group

Levens School

Education is first recorded in the parish in 1810 when Mrs Howard founded a school for girls. In 1819 a National School was opened for boys with a new boys school being built in 1824, again at the expense of Levens Hall. The boys school ceased to be used in 1907 when boys, girls and infants came together to be educated on the present school site in Church Road.

Levens School retains some of its old registers. We have set out below some of the comments made by the master of the boys school during 1863-1871. They show how pupil numbers fluctuated with the agricultural and social year, and provide some interesting comments on the weather and childhood illnesses. George Stabler, father of Harold Stabler of Poole Pottery fame, was headmaster throughout this period.

Other documents show what area Levens school served in 1908, what the school was like during the World Wars, numbers of pupils on the school roll and names of their teachers and other staff.

Note: some links open in Adobe Acrobat Reader which can be downloaded free from the Adobe website www.adobe.com/products/acrobat.

top