The village has had two previous reading rooms. The first institute was at Moss Edge and a second men's reading room was at Lanefoot cottages. This was superceded by the present village Institute, which was bought following fund raising as part of the celebration of the coronation of Edward VII.
The village playing fields are laid out on land belonging to Dallam Tower Estate and were opened in 1938.
Levens parish includes two public houses: the Hare & Hounds at Causeway End, first documented in 1714, and the Strickland Arms near the entrance to Sizergh Castle. The village had a reputedly rowdy beer house, the Royal Oak on Main Street. It closed in 1912 and is now a private dwelling. There also used to be an inn, the Duke of York, at Sizergh Fellside.
Note: some links open in Adobe Acrobat Reader which can be downloaded free from the Adobe website www.adobe.com/products/acrobat.